Leading PSIM platforms
PSIM is a Platform for Physical Security Information Management and Worldwide ESM is a product that belongs to platforms of this class.
The special feature of the ESM is that it is a unified management system for physical security, which brings together information coming from all subsystems security of the site and promptly identifies threats. In the event of an emergency, the platform manages all stages of the response, analyzes the effectiveness of the measures taken and controls the operator actions with respect to their compliance with the applicable safety requirements.
Leading foreign manufacturers of PSIM-systems are the following companies:
- Advancis (Winguard) – Germany
- CNL (IPSecurityCenter) – Great Britain
- PRYSM (AppVision) – France
- VIDSYS – USA
- FAST (TERRA 4D) – Germany
- DAB Group (Galassia 3.0) – Italy
- Ela Soft (GEMOS) – Germany
Building a security system begins with a model that answers the following questions:
- What can happen on the site?
- How can the situation develop?
- What should the system do in the event of a threat?
- How will it do this?
- How much time will it take for all this?
Answering these questions, all possible threats (risks) are assessed and formulated step-by-step. Then scenarios of the offender’s actions are calculated and algorithms of the system’s reaction are developed in each critical situation.
Human factor reducing
In most systems security man is the centre of decision-making of the system. He/ She monitors the state of technical means, receives alarm signals on the monitors, manages the reaction forces This, however, turns out to be an outdated, costly and ineffective method.
Experienced managers understand that the main way to ensure the effectiveness of the security system is to improve the quality of the personnel of the response forces. Therefore, they are regularly forced to spend many days of training and training, to practice the correct actions under different scenarios of the situation.
Obviously, such organizational arrangements require large expenditures, both material and temporary, and, unfortunately, do not guarantee a quick result. In addition, despite a clear and understandable algorithm of actions, a natural human factor can work out of a freelance situation: fatigue, fatigue, confusion, etc. And then the cost of mistakes or slowing down the reaction can be human life.
ESM helps personnel to make the right decisions, taking on most of the load. Thus, for example, when a signal is received, the criticality of the threat is automatically assessed, an appropriate response scenario is selected, the results of the incident are tracked, and the effectiveness of the actions taken. In the event that the operator is acting incorrectly or not as quickly as the situation requires, the signal is transmitted to a higher level. As a result, the manager has transparent and reliable information about what is happening at the site and can monitor deviations in real time.
Adaptation to the site
The ESM software is designed as a standard with the ability to adapt to the requirements of a particular facility. This product is an open platform, and we, as developers, can fine-tune it to meet customer expectations.
The software architecture provides ESM capabilities for the integration of various systems, as well as the integration of ESM into third-party systems. We have an API for transferring information from ESM to third-party systems. Standard protocols are also supported (for example, Onvif, OPC, OSDP and so on). It works on Windows and Linux operation systems.
ESM is a platform for structuring the individual subsystems: signalling for security; for perimeter protection; Access control and management, etc., but it is also used to structure complex distributed systems and situational centres.
ESM also supports a federal structure: several levels of situational centres. For example: site location, region level, multi-site processing, and a centre where operators handle aggregated information from all security systems, networks that are vital to banks and large geographically distributed corporations.
ESM Security Management Centre
- Accelerates the detection of abnormal situations by automatically handling incidents;
- Reduces the response time, because the system operates according to pre-set scenarios;
- Reduces the number of errors, because operators are given step-by-step instructions, and all deviations are monitored in real time;
- Simplifies routine tasks, because many functions are now automated;
- Provides the manager with reliable information about the level of security of its object, because all actions in the system are recorded.
- Multi-agent technology
It is built on the basis of information ontology and allows you to optimize the work of staff:
- Complex analysis of signals in order to identify abnormal situations or prerequisites for their occurrence.
- Forecasting possible routes of interception of the intruder.
- Dynamic distribution of tasks for verification of alarm events between operators, taking into account various criteria.
- Optimization and control of personnel work.
- Increasing automation
The transition of site protection from the situation 80/20 (80% is a person, and 20% is a system), to the situation of 20/80 (20% is a person, and 80% is a system).
Aim: Security full automation of the type of “autopilot” when the operator intervenes in control only in unusual situations or especially critical situations.
- Integration with information security systems and providing security against cyberthreats.
The most traditional systems are designed only to detect alarms and collect information about the events. Everything else depends on the operator and his/ her reliability. The manager might know nothing about a real threat if the operator is distracted, evaluate events improperly or intentionally hide information about the actions of offenders for personal gain and disloyalty.
We have developed an approach and created a technology that allows to bring the situation under control: from detection of the threat to its liquidation and subsequent analysis of the measures taken.
The system is built in such a way that the operator receives corresponding signal and instructions for actions and then monitor their performance. In unusual situation where every second counts, the operator does not need to think, what and in what sequence should be undertaken. The system performs alone the majority of events analysis and incidents processing tasks.
This greatly simplifies the work of security service, the system gives the operator answers to what happened, how critical it is and what should be done, and the manager is promptly notified, what measures are taken and how to solve the problem.
This approach allows to reduce the response time and to increase the accuracy of the actions – namely what are factors that determine the effectiveness of all measures to ensure security.
Security management system base – ESM Enterprise Security Management, is a system of class PSIM own development. ESM has a huge range of integration options and what is most important it works on the basis of scenarios: responses of different types of threats are initially set in the system.
ESM performs primary classification of accidents, giving the operator all the necessary information – to close the entrances to the site, to send a mobile group for inspection, to block necessary doors, etc. All this is done quickly, accurately and in accordance with instructions so that the operator cannot forget and may not confuse anything.
All actions of the operator of any accident are recorded in an archive and are available for analysis and internal investigation. Data cannot be deleted or falsified.
ESM integrates all resources providing security (security and force units staff, technical equipment, regulations and instructions) and centralized manage them.
Using this system security services are always able to keep up with events, conduct comprehensive monitoring of the situation on site, remotely coordinate the power units. In short, present software system provides a high level of preparedness for unexpected situations and the ability to accurate, flexible and rapid action.
The following items may be connected to ESM software system:
- Multifunctional control and access management system using the most modern means of identification: fingerprint, faces 3D – model, vehicle state registration plates and others;
- System for thermal control of the site perimeter and area;
- System for technological video surveillance and technical signalling;
- Video surveillance system and video analysis of events;
- Site perimeter protection system using technical means with different principle of detection;
- Security system, alarm and fire alarm;
- Monitoring system at remote and mobile sites;
- System to monitor the condition of the building and facilities;
- Other systems.
Solution innovation and features
Management through scenarios for incident response
ESM has a set of scenarios to counteract and eradicate any type of threat. In each situation ESM gives the operator answers to the questions, what happened, how critical it is and what to do, and timely reported to the manager what measures to take and how to solve the problem.
Thanks to IP – telephony embedding integration in ESM system, all telephone communications between employees are executed quickly and recorded (with opportunity to listen to an audio recording).
For the security service manager, this means that any emergency situation:
- Shall offer corresponding scenario (who, what and when to be done);
- Shall provide the necessary and accurate information to decision makers;
- In an optimal way shall “lead” incident from threat detection to its liquidation;
- Shall record and present in a convenient form detailed information on the action taken and the results of the incident.
Full control and transparency of all activities
Much of tasks for analyzing events and handling incidents are performed by the system. The operator plays the role of a confirming person and performer of regulations that are made by the system for the whole object scale.
An example of the system operation based on ESM
On the road the offender there are several engineering – technical hurdles that consistently protect the borders of the site and the approaches to critical elements.
Just at approach to the site, the offender is detected by means of perimeter signalling and video surveillance.
The alarm signal is transmitted to a security management centre. Having comprehensive and reliable information about the situation, the security service manager (or authorized assistant) may quickly take the correct decision and to launch an interception and removal of the threat.
- Localizing forces for physical protection and directing the mobile group to the nearest located intruder interception;
- Monitoring and “leading” the enemy with the help of technical means;
- Coordinating events, enhancing the security of critical elements that lie along the path of the offender;
- A signal is sent also to the security service manager via a dedicated alarm monitor or mobile tablet. If there are requests for the transfer of information to the authorities of the Ministry of Interior, the Federal Security Service, the Emergencies Ministry and other bodies, ESM automatically prepares and sends information in the required format.
Scenario response management in incidents enables:
- Effective action in every situation – in fact relevant algorithms are already built into the system and should only be performed;
- Automation of control processes in the course of resolving the incident from its inception to completion;
- Retaining a sufficient amount of information for analysis (including, for investigation).
In addition, the system has means to control the actions of the operator and allows at early stages to identify those that relate to improper tasks.
Interactive ergonomic interface
ESM interface is built on the principle of a single workspace and three functional screens.
Map of the site (where it has happened)
Map of the site with status indicators of protection regimes of technical equipment for security alarm events.
Incident response management (what to do)
Incident response management
– log of incidents, map of the selected incident response scenario “step by step” panel and radio call to emergency services.
Video surveillance and video analysis (what has happened)
Video surveillance of critical elements, territories, video analysis of alarm events.
In such a configuration, the processing of the signals of the system becomes easy and productive.
Single solution for all management vertical
System users are not only security, but also production workers and senior managers.
The system allows production workers to monitor the processes and the management – to exercise effective control of the most critical areas in terms of management.
Automation of the entire site
The system allows efficient processing of incoming signals, analysis of the information in its entirety and management of the situation in real time: coordination of the power units, changing the operating mode of the subsystems (e.g. blocking the movement of offenders in the facility), etc.
There is a 3 levels security system established:
First level: protection against potential threats.
Second level: protection against immediate threats.
Third level: protection from direct threats.
World and national experience shows that security rules should be adapted to the current level of security.
ESM – the only system that has the function to control security level and ensuring the adaptation of the work of the technical means of security according to the level of threat to the enterprise
Pushing only one button makes the site to change its mode from «peace» to «fighting» mode:
- Increasing control when passing through access points;
- Means of detecting along the site perimeter settings are changed;
- More or less information appears on the screen in the control centre;
- Additional jobs for operators are activated.
Compliance with legislation
In recent years a number of sectors have significantly increased requirements to provide security. Primarily in the transport and energy sectors. The new legislation makes the task of an integrated approach to the protection of each site on the basis of vulnerability assessment, categorization and systematic use of new technologies.
Product features allow not only to implement all requirements of the law to ensure security, but also repeatedly to increase opportunities for enterprise management and the achievement of significant economic effect.
Unique product own development
ESM itself constitutes own development and has no analogue. Foreign systems of similar class are several times more expensive.
Easy integration of old and new systems into a single complex
The technology does not require replacement of existing security systems and provides easy and convenient integration of the necessary systems into a single system. All events data in different subsystems is put into a single format needed for convenient and efficient operation.
The wide range of possibilities for integration and standardized protocols allow upon construction of sites system:
to maintain existing security systems and they may easily be added to the new integrated system (direct savings: The customer should not change anything that already exists);
quickly to develop and modernize the complex system, with the addition of the latest devices and technologies (promising savings: modernization of separate technical segments does not require changing the core of the system).
This is essential for those customers who already have systems, but their capabilities are insufficient. In these cases, the most of existing infrastructure is made, but its capabilities are increasing at times by integrating and using the advantages of ESM. For the customer this means maximum impact and money savings.
Efficiency in ESM usage
Implementing a system of this class leads to three types of effects:
Reduction of the risks to their minimum:
- High level of protection against external and internal threats;
- Removal of theft and other disorders;
- Preventing technological accidents;
- Identifying rogue employees.
Reduction of costs:
- Reducing the need for training of employed security guards;
- Reducing operating losses and the cost of system usage;
- Reducing the amount of annual contributions to insurers.
Increasing management efficiency:
- Improving labour discipline;
- Increasing transparency and management capabilities for enterprise management;
- Automation of security management of the entity processes;
- System production services resources;
- Guiding culture of management to proactive decisions and actions;
- The approach and methodology of construction of this class systems have been repeatedly tested by the company – ELECTRONICS at sites of civil aviation, energy, metallurgy and industrial production.
ESM software complex options review
ESM – is a flexible system for building complex security systems, which refers to PSIM class software, designed to solve problems for software integration of various subsystems security integrated information – control system that manages the collection, processing of information , notifications and control over the activities of the operators.
ESM contains a very wide range of options of use and features that make it possible to perform not only the integration and interaction, but also management of all safety systems of objects of any size.
The software product ESM is a sequence of basic components:
- Enterprise Security Manager Basic (ESM-Basic)
- Enterprise Security Manager Professional (ESM- Professional)
- Enterprise Security Manager Enterprise (ESM- Enterprise)
Base component ESM-Basic includes the following functions:
- Monitoring and management of any embedded system with a single interface to use;
- Management of observed site condition (technical resources and territories) through hierarchical schemes. Icons or territorial sites where possible separation of all elements of the layers are displayed as managed sites on observation map;
- Review of video images with a diagram of the site, which allows at any time to obtain information from each video on the site;
- Flexible adjustment of user rights, allows to restrict access of the operator to every function of every object of management of the entire system;
- Records on the actions of the operator providing retrospective security. It always may be understand who and when committed management of technical resources and make a change in the data;
- Timely messages from site plan allows every moment to review retrospective event log for each monitored and videos at events;
- Photo and video control panel provides the operator friendly interface for monitoring and managing transitions in each accurate access. Wide possibilities for setting the type of display of information and user access control and his omission to meet all needs of the operator. The Audit Panel provides matching user information and video images of the passage and ask the operator to confirm the switch;
- Lists of offenders of control – crossing procedures, which provide a journal entry on all violations, blocking the actions and issue omission of the offender;
- Complete automation of the cycle of permit issuance, including data entry for individuals and transport using a document scanner, photographing with online review (supports mepermitixel cameras USB and IP), introduction of ID cards for access, determination of entitlements, introduction biometric fingerprint templates and programming templates card printing flaws on all media. Through the built-in templates editor permits may be shaped any templates for printing permits;
- User transition monitoring, provides quick search of a private person or vehicle, alert at user identification in every integrated subsystem, review the log of user actions, forming a statement for site visits and reporting of working time. Moreover, without requiring the installation of special software, this function is accessible from all popular web browsers;
- System operation reports compelling allows to receive any reports from a template to specify filtering rules to issue, then this report is published for access by other users and set a schedule for automatically preparing the report and its circulation by email. Flexible adjustment of the display area allows to restrict access to information for the operator organizations and divisions;
- Issuing operational instructions provides support to the operator in case of alarm events and any unexpected situations, monitor response times and execute the instructions from the operator. Using the editor instructions on responding to any accidents are issued.
Main package of ESM-Professional includes all the features of the Basic package, and the following:
- Management of incident response provides automated scripts response system operator alarms and control the actions of the operators.
Alarm, malfunction, failure, act of unlawful interference deviation from the processes of security and other negative situations – all these are incidents in security that require timely response and rules. Patterns of operation in incident provides integration events from sensors, video cameras and other promoters of events related to the processes of the work of the operator of the security system and record everything in general log of incidents. Technological process of operation of the operator consists of processes for handling incident. The procedure for handling incidents allows automating the tasks of operators also give the possibility to change the treatment algorithm based on the development of the situation, i.e. it provides an opportunity for logical branching procedure for handling the incident. The result of each stage of the procedure (task) is noted in the system. Each task involved in the response procedure meets the regulation response to incident and contain appropriate advice for the operator, which increases efficiency in handling incidents and reduces the risk of operator errors;
- Management of security level provides switching the operating mode of the system: increasing/ deceasing of the alert, change the script response, changing the logic to permit issuance and algorithms for access control;
- Increasing fault tolerance by creating a backup server system. In case of failure of the primary server a backup server is switched on and the entire management system is transferred to it. Building a distributed system with multiple locations that provide the organization of monitoring of remote sites with multiple levels and hierarchy and maintains editing permits to any site. At the lowest level using of systems with Basic. package is allowed;
- Integrating VoIP – telephony, increases the efficiency of the operator in reactions to incidents and ensures keeping logs of calls and recording conversations subscribers;
- Unlimited system expansion by number of technical resources, permits and jobs of operators;
- The electronic system for permits requesting, provides:
- Automate application procedures, visualization and design flaws of any type that are used by staff and visitors crossing (transition) on site;
- Flexible algorithms and unlimited stages of rendering requests permits;
- Control and differentiation of rights for users to access the functionality of the system;
- Information about the person who submitted the application, information about its state (through all stages of visualization);
- Control of mode offenders in visualization and / or moulding of the badge;
- Increasing the control of the crossing by recording all events in the system;
- Permits requests reporting and preparing various reports about them;
- Integration into existing ACS software systems;
- Protection of personal data of the visitors and obtaining consent to the processing of their personal data;
- Centralizing the process of processing, storage and reporting of information permits and related actions and events.
Main package of ESM-Enterprise includes all the features of the package ESM-Professional, and the following:
- Possibility to organize a system of distributed multi-server architecture that provides autonomous operation of local segments of the system and centralized data storage. Local ESM segment that allows organizing local data processing and transmission to a central server is installed in each autonomous segment;
- Possibility organize multiple levels of processing incident in which operators can ask for help and to transmit more complex incidents to a higher level when a dispatcher controlling the work of operators and consistency of processing incident.
ESM interface review
User interface of ESM is based on the following principles:
- Role interface – for each role the user has a separate interface functions according the role set: each user, according to his/her power presents information in a convenient for him/her format. For example, there may be a separate interface for each of the roles: operator at Permit desk; operator of checkpoint, guards manager, senior duty, Situation Centre operator, Head of Security Office;
- Principles of a single workplace – in solving all working tasks respecting the principle of single workplace;
- The principle of two lights – the interface is built from simple to complex, from binary and comprehensive information “has a problem / everything is fine”, to detailed information at different depths with the possibility of reviewing the entire vertical to specific technical means;
- Interactivity – the interface is oriented to interact with the user and provide the ability to manage the situation in the site scheme and scheme of the location of technical means as well as through a direct impact on the depicted objects and by selecting parameters and issuing commands;
- Convenient and efficient visualization – the interface provides the user with various options of visualization schemes of the site, state of the art (with the ability to quickly switch between options) and has means of rapid import groups pictograms; interface has advanced features report (data for different systems and formats in a field, comparing, searching for events in a system event in another system, generating reports on the icon schemes of the sites and plans for the installation of technical equipment, information more filters report);
- Flexible user space – the interface is set flexibly according to specific preferences (location of windows, toolbar, colourful scenarios, tips info graphics); interface supports tools that can be introduced into the product through import;
- Minimisation of the human factor – the interface is embedded tracking the actions of the operator when alarm conditions; The interface allows you to set response time for different types of situations, so this motivates the operator to be responsible towards work and knows all the necessary instructions.
Working application of ESM ARM Desktop Client
It is designed to organize workplaces of the main operators of the system (operator control panel of security operators Bureau permits controllers sentry guards and checkpoints, etc.).
ESM client application gives the operator a single desktop that supports up to 4 x monitor. Desktop ESM consists of a set of functional windows. The user can configure the windows and adjust their size according to your own requirements.
ESM client includes the following types of functional windows:
- Panel with a map of the site;
- CCTV Panel;
- Panel for photo and video monitoring;
- Events log;
- Monitoring the movements of employees;
- Panel for operational connection;
- Permits desk Panel;
- Panel to change the level of security;
- Panel system setup (configuring the physical equipment, logical structures monitoring to process events and display the sites in the schemes editors types and patterns of permits editor rights, etc.);
- Panel for events processing (a list of incidents, response management incident parameters of the incident log of the incident operational surveillance of the incident).
Web applications of ESM
ESM web applications for solving business tasks, users who are not directly involved in managing the security of the site (managers, specialists analysts Security Office, employees of the office staff and report working hours, employees of the Administrative Department supplies and other stakeholders).
The application provides a standard set of reports for security, fire, alarm and additional engineering subsystem by subsystem control the reactions of the operators of incidents.
Report and jobs editor
It provides the ability to edit the report templates with preset parameters of construction, sorting and filtering the output data and settings for the type of output form. To create a reporting system may create a job editing the report and sending it on the list of automatically sending the mail.
The function of task management for reporting allows to save time for the preparation of reports and submitting prepared reports on time.
Monitoring the move
Specialized application for monitoring the location of the user or groups of users of the system, the rapid demand of the customer reporting a leak and report time reporting.
Operating instructions editor
It provides an opportunity for professionals from the security services to form and classified operating instructions response to the operator of alarm events. The application is a visual interface that does not require special training of the user.
Application authorizing full list of tasks to automate the process of issuing and displaying permits.
Integrating possibility of ESM
- At user interface level
The structure of the user interface building allows easy incorporation of new functional window (tool) with data from external systems, thus the user gets on his workdesk new feature. It is also possible based on the binding mechanism to implement interactions of functional windows and thus increase the efficiency of integration and simplify the operator’s work.
- At the level of logic
Open protocols for integrated and open database structure allow realization of import / export data to the external system, in real time and retrospectively. For example, a given level, realization of integration with software CO.
- Level drivers
Integration level enables drivers to connect equipment to all channels of communication and by all protocols.
At this level, the following possibilities for integration exist:
- Implementation of fully functional driver with a protocol of the manufacturer, which provides monitoring, management and configuration of subsystems can be integrated;
- Integration with standard protocols Onvif, OPC, PSIA. In this case the functions and scope of integration are determined by the level of record keeping system that integrates;
- Integrating a simple open management protocol that allows integration without participation of the developer of the system. The Protocol provides for the production of events and conditions, management of integrated alarm – security, fire systems and access control, as well as charge card authentication system for access control. The integration in this version, terms for development is reduced significantly due to the development of an external module for converting data from one format to another.
ESM contains the following drivers for integration.
- ESM-Intellect. The driver provides the opportunity to work on ESM server with unlimited video servers digital video surveillance system Intellect ITV;
- ESM-Milestone.The driver provides the opportunity to work with an unlimited number of video cameras to digital video surveillance system Milestone. Provides monitoring of events by video camera and management, monitoring of all alarms;
- ESM-ONVIF profile G. enables integration into any system for video surveillance and video recording devices supporting ONVIF profile G;
- ESM-ORION. The driver provides the opportunity to work on ESM server with unlimited connection to an external system Orion (Bolides);
- ESM-Fobos. The driver provides the opportunity to work with an unlimited connection to an external system Phobos-3M;
- ESM-OPC-AE. The driver provides monitoring of events and alarms from external systems interface OPC AE. The number of linked systems is unlimited;
- ESM-CK-24. The driver provides the opportunity to work with an unlimited number of keyboards (electronic storage device, taking into account the key) CK-24 production of “ЭВС.”;
- ESM-PCE. The driver provides the opportunity to work with an unlimited number of nodes of a multifunctional controller RSU (address network peripherals PCE, for example, DC-02 panel, LCD screen).The number of buses and controllers is unlimited. Available configuration, receive messages and commands;
- ESM-BOSCH-BIS. The driver provides event monitoring, export of users, access cards and determining the rights to use ACS in BIS system of ESM department for access control;
- ESM / UAD-Rubezh. Working with an unlimited number of connected control devices rubezh-08;
- ESM / UAD-APOLLO. The driver provides the possibility to work with an unlimited number of connected controllers APOLLO AAN-100 (32);
- ESM / UAD-N-1000.The driver provides possibility to work with an unlimited number of connected controllers N-1000-II, III, IV;
- ESM / UAD-VISTA-501.The driver provides the opportunity to work on ESM server with unlimited number of connected panels VISTA-501;
- ESM / UAD-ESA. The driver provides the opportunity to work on ESM server with unlimited number of connected fire stations ESA;
- ESM / UAD-NOTIFIER. The driver provides the opportunity to work on ESM server with unlimited number of connected fire stations NOTIFIER;
- ESM-CTI. The driver provides the opportunity to work on ESM server with VoIP – telephony (Asterisk).The following functions are available: calls to subscribers by ESM interface, a call from the operator, forwarding calls, transmission protocols event calls, call recording (creating and maintaining relationships recording Asterisk), listen to audio recordings of conversations.